Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tip #2: Know the Process

This is very important because you are an engineer and you need to know the details of the processes you will be working on. First thing you need to learn is a P&ID program. This will allow you to create a P&ID (piping and instrument diagram) of the process or a flow diagram of the process you will be working on. I currently use Microsoft Visio and I would recommend it to anyone. The best way to learn a P&ID program is just to pick it up and learn it. I learned myself by creating a P&ID of a unit operation for the plant I was working at. I traced the lines and noted everything in the process (lines , pumps, valves, heat exchangers, tanks and other important units) in a notebook and then I took to recreating it in the P&ID program.
Creating the P&ID will help you understand the process. Once you know the process you can begin to work on improving the process and then you will be on your way to be being a better engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment